The Great Race Around The Country
The Great Race Instructions
Welcome to the Great Cobram AGS Virtual Race Around Australia!!! Starting Monday, 14th September, the question will be asked: who will be the first house to circumnavigate the 26 270kms around our Great Southern Land!!! Starting at the Cobram Anglican School gates, travelling to Melbourne and then heading up the east coast, your house’s journey will take you right around the country, back to Melbourne and finally home to Cobram!!! But how will this happen you might ask? Simple, all you have to do is get up and active! Walk, ride, run, swim, gym, activity classes, it doesn’t matter, as long as you are doing something physical and moving!!! This will allow you to amass kilometres, which when added to other house members’ totals, will set you on the way to completing this challenge! Here is how you will be able to assist your house and get those kilometres ticking over:
What I need to do?: Get up and active, participating in any form of physical activity
What will I require?: You will need any necessary equipment required for your chosen activity, sports gear, runners, a watch or app (Strava, Runkeeper, Map My Run by Under Armour, Running Distance Tracker Pro, Garmin, Fitbit etc.) that can measure distance and time, and a strong will! Maybe a towel and a drink bottle would also come in handy!
How do I acquire kms?: Simply measure your distance or time of participation using your watch or app on a device. If the activity you select is a distance related exercise eg. Run, walk, bike ride, swim, simply calculate how many kms you have done. If it is a time related activity eg. Circuit workout, gym session etc. then calculate for every 10 minutes of activity, it equates to 1 kilometre eg. 1 hour for workout = 6kms. But would you like to see your kms add up quicker, well look here!!! BONUSES:
- The more family members you can get doing the same activity, you can multiply your kilometres by this amount eg. 5km walk x 3 family members involved = 15kms!!!!
- INTENSITY!!! The harder you work, the more kms you can earn!!! An INTENSITY CALCULATOR has been designed to assist you, which can be found on the Cobram AGS’s web-page where our great race is being presented. Simply calculate your average km time/workout intensity in your chosen activity and then see which category it comes under! This is a bit tricky to use so don’t feel obliged to but it can give your kilometres a kick along!!! Eg. 5km run in 20 minutes = 4:00 minute average per km. This is in the HIGH INTENSITY CATEGORY, meaning you can multiply your 5km x 4, giving you 20km!!!
ALL BONUSES WILL BE SCRUTINISED AND EVIDENCE WILL BE REQUIRED IF NEEDING PROOF! Eg. 20 members going for a walk, world record times etc.
On completion of activity, simply fill in the GOOGLE FORM CONNECTED WITH YOUR HOUSE/ACTIVITY when you get a couple of minutes spare, recording the following information:
- WHAT ACTIVITY YOU WERE INVOLVED IN
- HOW MANY FAMILY PARTICIPANTS WERE INVOLVED IN ACTIVITY
- HOW MANY KILOMETRES WERE COMPLETED (Remember: Timed activities need to be converted into kilometres as per the calculation that 10 minutes of activity = 1km!)
- WHAT INTENSITY LEVEL WAS ACTIVITY COMPLETED AT (Only if you feel comfortable and confident to use!)
This will allow bonus calculations to take place eg. 5km run in 20 minutes (average: 4 min/km) x 1 person x Vigorous (x4) = 20km; 30km bike ride in 2 hours (average: 4 min/km) x 2 people x Moderate (x 3) = 180km!!!
All you have to do is PUNCH IN YOUR DATA FROM YOUR EXERCISE ACTIVITY AND ENJOY THE SPOILS OF YOUR EFFORT!!!
REMEMBER, EVERY KILOMETRE COUNTS!!! PRIZES ALONG THE WAY AND FOR THE EVENTUAL WINNERS!!!
SO, LET THE RACE BEGIN!!! THE HOUSE THAT COMPLETES THE RACE FIRST WILL BE CROWNED THE COBRAM AGS VIRTUAL AUSTRALIA RACE CHAMPIONS! THE MORE PARTICIPATING, THE HARDER YOU WORK, THE MORE SUCCESS YOU’LL HAVE!!! GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY JOURNEYS!
A message from Mr O'Dwyer
Hi all members of the Cobram AGS community,
As you are fully aware, the Great CAGS Race Around Australia has been in full flight for the last 3 weeks, with Stanyer doing an amazing job out front, followed by Parkes, Cowell and Farrer. We really encourage everyone
to get up and active, assisting your house colour to accumulate those kilometres to get around the mainland as quickly as possible. Although we are wanting to do this with some urgency, a couple of items of note have come to the fore, which require some attention
so as to establish a fair and reasonable playing field:
* When doing as a group, A HOUSE TEAM MEMBER HAS TO BE PART OF THE CALCULATIONS and all group members must be part of the family! Some parents have been enquiring on whether they can put individual efforts in.
Preferably, we want the students to be at the centre of this activity so we encourage the activities to be done with them actively involved. PARENTS MAY ENTER NO MORE THAN 2 INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITIES PER WEEK.
* We are finding that avid bike riders are having a distinct advantage in this challenge. Due to the fact that some houses may not be in this fortunate situation, we only feel it fair and just to make some adjustments
in this area. ANY ENTRY, NO MATTER THE EXERCISE/ACTIVITY, CANNOT EXCEED 100KM even after using participants/intensity calculator. This is where the bike is clocking up some huge totals so, even though you are doing a marvellous job, it is proving an
unfair advantage. We will also put a limit on how many bike rides (one that exceeds 25km or more) can be done in a week, encouraging other activity to be engaged. A limit of 3 BIKE RIDES PER WEEK will be allowed!
I hope everyone is understanding of this situation. Make sure you keep up and active! From the reports back, we have a number of families really getting in and having a go so let's make sure we share the workload and
not leave it to too few!!! Enjoy the rest of the holidays!
Head of Sport